Student Involvement

Graduate and undergraduate student research is a vital part of the Polar Science Center and the Applied Physics Laboratory. Several PSC scientists hold faculty appointments in UW academic departments and teach and supervise students. However, the Applied Physics Laboratory is a research unit and does not admit students or grant degrees. For graduate students interested in working under the supervision of a PSC staff member, you must first apply for admission to the appropriate academic department, for example, Atmospheric Sciences, Oceanography, Earth and Space Sciences, and Electrical Engineering. Once admitted as a graduate student, you can then explore opportunities for research at PSC. If you wish to pursue graduate study and research with a specific PSC scientist, you should contact that person directly during the early part of the admissions process, to determine whether opportunities are available. Often, PSC investigators have job openings for undergraduate student helpers. If you are an undergraduate student and wish to learn more about potential opportunities, contact PSC Admin  (PSCAdmin©apl•washington•edu)  .

For additional information please visit the Applied Physics Laboratory’s Education and Outreach page.