Suzanne Dickinson is a scientific programmer and data analyst. She studies satellite observations over the world’s oceans as part of an effort to better understand ocean-atmosphere coupling and other dynamical ocean processes. The primary datasets include sea ice concentration, sea surface temperature, and surface winds. Ms. Dickinson is also responsible for processing and analyzing in-situ datasets, including buoy data and general circulation model analyses. She has authored or co-authored technical reports and refereed journal publications and develops analysis and graphics programs. Ms. Dickinson has been with the Laboratory since 1997.
M.S., 1994, Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
B.S., 1984, Physics, Boston University, Boston, MA
- Steele, M., S. Dickinson, (2016), The phenology of Arctic Ocean surface warming, J. Geophys. Res., Oceans, 121, 6847-6861, doi: 10.1002/2016JC012089
- Light, B., S. Dickinson, D. K. Perovich, and M. M. Holland (2015), Evolution of summer Arctic sea ice albedo in CCSM4 simulations: Episodic summer snowfall and frozen summers, J. Geophys. Res., 120, 284–303, doi:10.1002/2014JC010149
- Steele, M., S. Dickinson, J. Zhang, and R.W. Lindsay (2015), Seasonal ice loss in the Beaufort Sea: Toward synchrony and prediction, J. Geophy. Res., 120, 1118-1132, doi: 10.1002/2014JC010247.
- Kelly, K.A., S. Dickinson and G.C. Johnson, 2005. Comparisons of scatterometer and TAO winds reveal time-varying surface currents for the Tropical Pacific Ocean, J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., 22(6), 735-745.
- Kelly,K.A., S.Dickinson, M.J.McPhaden, and G.C.Johnson, 2001. Ocean currents evident in satellite wind data, Geophys. Res. Lett. 28, 2469-2472.
- Kelly, K.A., S. Dickinson, and Z.-J. Yu, 1999. NSCAT Tropical Wind Stress Maps: Implications for Improving Ocean Modeling,J. Geophys. Res. – Oceans, 104, 11,291-11,310.
- Dickinson, S. and R.A. Brown, 1996. A Study of Near-Surface Winds in Marine Cyclones using Multiple Satellite Sensors, Journal of Applied Meteorology, 35, 769-781.
- Naughton, M.J., S. Dickinson, R.C. Samaratunga, J.S. Brooks and K.P. Martin. 1983. Thermometry in High Magnetic Fields at Low Temperatures, Review of Scientific Instruments,54, 1529-33.